Judy Harris, in her article, identifies 18 telecollaborative activity structures. Unfortunately the links she gives to their detail is broken (I guess she's no longer at the Universtiy of Texas) She does group these "activities" into three categories, however. These categories are:
2) Information Collection and Analysis - Students collect, compare, and compile different types and forms of data electronically.
3) Problem Solving - Students use critical thinking, collaboration, and problem-based learning.
In terms of current usage, one need only go into any Middle or High school where students are being assigned research projects to see that #2 is constantly being used. What is lacking, however, are the deeper elements and meaning that such projects may have. Students use the internet to "google search" a topic, and then copy and paste much of that information. The first category seems to mostly be used only in terms of email or a student myspace account. I have never seen or experienced a classroom (in K-12) where experts on a given topic are contacted or utilized to teach. Likewise the third category seems reserved for "extra time," after students have finished work, so that they may play any host of electronic games, even though they may not understand the reason or lessons such games offer.
In short, I believe such categories are extremely lacking in secondary schools, particularly in Utah. In part this may not be a fault of teachers or schools, for without certain resources such learning isn't even possible. However those schools that DO implement "technology" into their curriculum tend to see it merely as a better way of doing old things, rather than what it truly could be - an entirely new area of learning, exploration, and education.

1 comment:
Hi, Josh!
You're correct -- I moved from the University of Texas to the College of William & Mary 5 years ago. The activity structures materials are now online at W&M: http://virtual-architecture.wm.edu/. I tried to post a forwarding page at UT, but they permitted it to be displayed for only about 6 months after I left.
Hope that these materials are helpful to you. I will be updating them online in late 2007/early 2008.
Best,
-Judi
Post a Comment