
Grabe, in his article, describes the "Big Six" (No, not those weird guys above). Grabe's Big Six are actually skills for problem solving. He defines them as:
2. Information Seeking - Realizing where to look, brainstorming, and recognizing that sources can be varied and not everything comes from an Encyclopedia (Or Wikipedia)
3. Locating and Accessing - Finding specific resources, whether thru card catalogues or Google search.
4. Use of Information - Processing Information, deciding what is useful, and retrieving those elements, often from extensive data. Also documentation of sources and bookmarking to "find information again"
5. Organizing and Communicating - Using upper learning skills to synthesize information, put it together, and organize into a whole
6. Evaluation - Make judgments about completion of task, effectiveness of solution and process, and anticipation of "grade"
The internet has opened up a different realm of possibilities for Grabe's "Big Six." Research, particularly, can now be done with a few simple key strokes. Further, the anaylsis and determination of information and its reliabiality has become a trickier and larger task. Helping student know what they can use is as important as helping them eliminate false or unnecessary things. (Further making sure that they do not use Wikipedia).
In essence, the "Big Six" are guidelines for learning and instruction. They also walk nicely along Maslow's hierarchy of learning, requiring both basic level skills, as well as higher-order tools to be implemented. When there is difficulty at one stage, students can "back track" and focus on the area they "went wrong." What Grabe, I believe, is really trying to point out, is how the internet can be used to meet, satisfy, and even amplify educational goals.
1 comment:
Hi Josh,
I thought your graphics on our lesson plan were great! I guess they don't fit in with the standards though. So, wondering if you want to take them off so we can get a better grade? I'm also wondering if anyone is up to fixing our instructions - I'm guessing not - so thinking if we just take off the graphics we will get a little better grade. Let me know if anyone wants to work on instructions and I will help.
Thanks - I don't have your e-mail so this is only way to contact you. My e-mail is brrogers@utah.gov Hope things are going well for you! Bonnie
Post a Comment